Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Maui News
SIDE ORDERS
By CARLA TRACY, Dining EditorP
OSTED: March 26, 2009

SATISFACTION. . . If every picture tells a story, just like the song he co-wrote with Rod Stewart, then Ronnie Wood had a grand old time at a popular Wailea restaurant last week.

The Rolling Stones' member dined on whole fish at Mala Wailea with restaurant partner Shep Gordon, who produced the Stones show on Oahu a few years back with Tom Moffatt.

"The dinner was a Grouchofest," says Shep. "I managed Groucho Marx and Ron Wood is an expert on Groucho and was his biggest fan. I introduced them over 30 years ago. So we met at Mala last Thursday to tell each other Groucho stories."

Speaking of celebrities, Oahu's famous chef Roy Yamaguchi is coming to Maui April 2 to cook a special dinner at his West Maui restaurant here.

"I've been working on visiting all of my island restaurants and doing a dinner with the chefs for some time now. My schedule gets a little crazy, but I love going to Maui and working with Joey Macadangdang," says Roy, a James Beard Award winner. "I'm looking forward to my visit and I think that those in attendance will enjoy what we have planned."

Roy's Kahana will set the stage for the seven-course feast that will cost $65 (with wine pairings, $85) per person, plus tax and gratuity.

The menu will start with kiawe-smoked Kona kampachi, followed by torchon of foie gras, roulade of shiso duck salad, seared moi with seafood cassoulet, curried lamb chops and seasonal vegetables, and chocolate peanut butter souffle.

"It's a rare Maui appearance for Roy, says Maui corporate chef Macadangdang. "I'm excited to see what he does with the food and the event also celebrates our 17th anniversary at Roy's Kahana."

No comments:

Post a Comment